It is the goal of Disabled Sports USA that all children have access to adaptive sports and recreation within their communities. With this goal in mind, we have created a Youth Recruitment Webinar, which can be found on our YouTube channel.
Community partners are a great place to start when recruiting. A list of potential partners can be found in the Marketing Your Programs section.
All adults working with youth and vulnerable populations should be submitted to a background check to ensure the safety of all participants. For more information on background checks, please visit the insurance and risk management section of our website.
Disabled Sports USA is committed to providing a pipeline to the Paralympics for young ski and snowboard racers. Each year Disabled Sports USA selects young athletes for its E-Team, provides a $500 athlete grant, as well as an E-team jacket and other training opportunities.
Requests for applications are available each fall. For more information, please contact Julia Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current E-Team qualifications are:
- 13-25 years old
- IPC medically classifiable disability
- Actively training
- Competed in at least one IPC sanctioned race
- Plan to compete in at least 2 IPC sanctioned races in the upcoming season
- Hold both USSA & IPC licenses
- Enrolled in school
- Not currently on the Paralympic or Paralympic Development Team
Learn more about the E-Team.
In an effort to make adaptive sports accessible to all youth, regardless of economic status, Disabled Sports USA has set up the “I Can Do Anything” scholarship fund, available to youth with limited financial income. Funds may be used for event entry fees, transportation costs, and meals.
To be eligible, youth must:
- Be age 17 or under
- Qualify or currently be receiving assistance from one or more of the following programs:
- Free School Lunch Program
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Aid for Dependent Children
- Foster Care
- Parent Guardian Unemployed
- Or any other similar local, state or federal program
To view more information, or complete an application, please visit the Youth section of our website.