The Jim Winthers Volunteer Award recognizes life-time contributions and significant achievements in furthering the mission of Disabled Sports USA. Nominees for this award must have contributed a minimum of 10 years of service to Disabled Sports USA or one of its chapters.
The Jim Winthers Volunteer Award is named in honor of Jim Winthers, a WWII veteran who was a member of the U.S. 10th Mountain Division- the Skiing 10th- an elite group specifically trained for alpine warfare. He eventually became a pioneer in teaching adaptive skiing, beginning with two friends who became amputees in the war; he taught them to ski on one leg using techniques he saw in Europe. Jim Winthers, with the support of other veterans, founded Disabled Sports USA in 1967.
Complete the Jim Winthers Volunteer Award Nomination Form and submit your nomination. The 2018 nomination deadline is Friday, August 31st.
A selection committee will review all nominees and present their decision to the DSUSA Board of Directors for ratification.
The award recipient and nominator will be notified prior to the award presentation at The Hartford Ski Spectacular.
A grant of $1,000 will be awarded to the chapter affiliated with the person who nominated the award winner.
For further questions, please contact email@example.com
The recipient of the Jim Winthers Volunteer Award will receive:
- An invitation to attend The Hartford Ski Spectacular for December in Breckenridge, CO
- Round-trip airfare to Denver International Airport
- Ground transportation from and to Denver International Airport
- Two nights lodging at Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center
- Lift tickets at Beaver Run Resort
- Two tickets to the banquet during which the award will be presented
- Past Recipients of the Jim Winthers Volunteer Award
Past Recipients of the Jim Winthers Volunteer Award
|2011||Mike “Milty” Miltner|
|2008||Dr. Bob Harney|
|2005||John and Cathy Sarubbi|
|1989||United Airlines Volunteers|
|1987||Mary and Earl Plummer|
|1986||Dr. Duane Messner|