Disabled Sports USA’s Empower Youth Sports aims to support aspiring Paralympians through two Elite Team grant opportunities: Training/Competition Grants and Adaptive Equipment Grants. The Elite Team is designed to support and empower emerging youth athletes with disabilities, ages 13-24, who are training competitively in sports that are featured in the Summer and Winter Paralympic Games. We aim to identify and assist athletes who are trying to bridge the gap between grassroots and elite sports.
This program is intended to not only enhance the efforts of its athletes through funding opportunities, but to increase their visibility within the pipeline of their sport, and help them become the best athletes they can be, both on and off the field of play.
- One-time Training/Competition Grant of up to $500 in one Summer and one Winter Paralympic Sport
- Opportunity to apply for a one-time Adaptive Equipment Grant of up to $5,000
- One-time Apparel Grant of up to $100 OR Elite Team Jacket
- Recognition in Challenge Magazine
- Athlete profile on DSUSA webpage
- Elite Team Newsletter
- Priority consideration for additional scholarship, training, and competition opportunities
- Between the ages of 13-24
- U.S. legal permanent resident
- Medically classifiable to compete in the Paralympic Sport you are applying under (actual current classification is not required)
- Actively training and competing
- Enrolled in school (e.g. college, high school, home schooled)
- Provide a reference letter from your current coach (must be dated from within the current year)
- Must not be considered part of TEAM USA (cannot be a member of the national team or have an athlete profile on the US Paralympic Athlete portal for the sport you applying under). This award is intended for grassroots athletes who have not yet competed at elite national or international level
Grant Application Process:
- The Training/Competition Grant and the Adaptive Equipment Grant opportunity are separate application processes and you will need to apply for each separately
- Receiving one grant does not guarantee you will receive the other
- We receive a high volume of applications. Please make sure to be thorough in your application
For more information, contact Huayra Gomez-Garcia, email@example.com, 240-268-0864.